Photobucket

Canadian Poncho Swag Now Available! CLICK HERE TO VISIT STORE!

 

 

Members Login
Username 
 
Password 
    Remember Me  
Post Info TOPIC: american 65 impala 327 engine numbers


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3945
Date:
american 65 impala 327 engine numbers


cousin just bought a 65 impala.  has original 327? in it.  w/ camel humps.
can anyone decode the serial number off the engine

it is F040 1HC   C

Wondering if it is a 300 hp or a 250 hp originally   or maybe it is just a 283 with camels on it. 

You # guys should be able to do this

The engine serial # matches the one stamped in the protectoplate



__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH.  The other one has a longer roof.



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3916
Date:

F      Flint Michigan

04    april

01    1st day of the month

HC   327   250 HP   4 BBL   powerglide

Hope this helps.



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3916
Date:

Chevy by the numbers shows HC as 250 HP for 65   was also used for 67 and 68 as 275 HP.   In 66 its HCR for Rochester or HCH  for Holly  275 HP.  Shows head # 3782461 camel hump heads for this engine 1.94 valves for 250 and 300 HP for 65 and for 66  275 and 300 HP engine. 



__________________


Canadian Poncho Superstar!

Status: Offline
Posts: 6366
Date:

built on april fools day

__________________


Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 701
Date:

Any ideas on this one      81         6621765        The 81 is off to the left of the other seven digits. Was told it is a 327,built fall of 1966. Has small journals and "double bump"heads. Could the 81 digits mean a re-bore at some time?confuse Thanks in advance for any info.

__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3916
Date:

You got me stumped on those numbers,  They could be the last numbers of the vehicles vin number.  If you can get the block casting numbers and date code on the back of the block I could tell you more in this case.

__________________


Poncho Master!

Status: Offline
Posts: 1628
Date:

Suffix '81' is a Canadian numerical suffix and from a '65 or '66 Canadian A-Body 327 rated at 300Hp for '65 and 275Hp in '66..

Sorry I haven't got the Canadian numerical suffixes laid out here as promised previously but I had them all typed up in a thread here a few months back and when I hit the submit button, poof...friggin' gone and all disappeared into cyberspace?.
confused.gif   I hate it when that happens and was discouraged but I'll try it again when I have a chance..

smile.gif




-- Edited by Ghost Post on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 11:53:19 AM

__________________

 

 

I like real cars best...especially the REAL real ones!
----------------------------------------------------------------



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3916
Date:

Ghost Post wrote:

Suffix '81' is a Canadian numerical suffix and from a '65 or '66 Canadian A-Body 327 rated at 300Hp for '65 and 275Hp in '66..

Sorry I haven't got the Canadian numerical suffixes laid out here as promised previously but I had them all typed up in a thread here a few months back and when I hit the submit button, poof...friggin' gone and all disappeared into cyberspace?.
confused.gif   I hate it when that happens and was discouraged but I'll try it again when I have a chance..

smile.gif




-- Edited by Ghost Post on Wednesday 26th of August 2009 11:53:19 AM



That would be good info for the library if you can post.  Have not seen much info on numeric suffix codes.biggrin.gif

 



__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3945
Date:

Thanks Ian!   I think you nailed it.  sounds like it is a 250 hp 327.
I wonder if the Last "C" would mean "carter carb"?????

it has a replacement newer holly on it now and the wrong intake.
Other than that its a really solid original car and a #s matching motor based on the protecto-plate.    BONUS!!!!

__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH.  The other one has a longer roof.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 45544
Date:

Dave

I don't think there is a 250 horse version that uses a Carter. I believe that is reserved for the 300 horse 327's as far as I've ever seen.

That 250 horse is an identical twin to one I picked up in Ron's Auto in Grand Forks years ago before he sold out.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles 



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3916
Date:

Correct Carl,. Carter AFB for 300 HP engine Rochester 4GC for 250 HP. Although Corvette had a 250 HP engine that used the Carter WCFB carb.   Carter also made the Rochester Carbs but not until 1966. 

-- Edited by Beaumont4008 on Monday 31st of August 2009 11:55:50 AM

__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3945
Date:

OK, so lets go back to the original question.

Are you sure it is not a 300 HP engine?   It has Camel humps

Again the engine serial # is F 040 1 HCC


I'm not really up on my 65 Numbers.

Thanks for all the help

P.S. the carb is a service replacement for a Q jet made by holley(really weird carb, and the intake and valve covers have been changed, otherwise its original.

Attachments
__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH.  The other one has a longer roof.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 45544
Date:

beaumontguru wrote:

OK, so lets go back to the original question.

Are you sure it is not a 300 HP engine?   It has Camel humps


Dave, are you implying that I, Foghorn Leghorn constantly babble and babble on and on endlessly about everything in the world except the original question, (like I am doing in this sentence........?????smile

If so, yes, I do!!!

Anyway, it is a 250 horse 327, 1965 full size Chev car, powerglide transmission according to my info.

 



__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles 



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3916
Date:

Here is the strange thing both the 250 HP and 300HP engine have the same pistons, heads, and cam. What gives it 50 more HP the Carb ?  Maybe some GM number fudging back in the day.


seems to be a great debate on other forums.   



-- Edited by Beaumont4008 on Monday 31st of August 2009 12:14:15 PM

__________________


Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3945
Date:

Thanks to all.    So it looks like it would be a rochester 4GC for sure?

I was totally confused too, because it has Camels on it.

Just to confirm:   250HP w/ double hump heads and a 4GC?

__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH.  The other one has a longer roof.



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3945
Date:

Beaumont4008 wrote:

Here is the strange thing both the 250 HP and 300HP engine have the same pistons, heads, and cam. What gives it 50 more HP the Carb ?  Maybe some GM number fudging back in the day.


seems to be a great debate on other forums.   



-- Edited by Beaumont4008 on Monday 31st of August 2009 12:14:15 PM

Ian,  i think the difference was the carb and 2 1/2 inch manifolds w/dual exhaust.

 



__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH.  The other one has a longer roof.



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 45544
Date:

Yes

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles 



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 45544
Date:

You turkey, you slipped in another post while I was answering!!! Yes to 4GC and double hump. I believe the first (62) 250 horse 327's had 283 heads on them though.

__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles 



A Poncho Legend!

Status: Offline
Posts: 45544
Date:

beaumontguru wrote:

Beaumont4008 wrote:

 

Here is the strange thing both the 250 HP and 300HP engine have the same pistons, heads, and cam. What gives it 50 more HP the Carb ?  Maybe some GM number fudging back in the day.


seems to be a great debate on other forums.   



-- Edited by Beaumont4008 on Monday 31st of August 2009 12:14:15 PM

Ian,  i think the difference was the carb and 2 1/2 inch manifolds w/dual exhaust.

 



I think earlier but not in 65. Only one manifold size on 65 Impala. I know 63 had the bigger ones on 300 horse.

 



__________________

1966 Strato Chief 2 door, 427 4 speed, 44,000 original miles 



Uber Guru

Status: Offline
Posts: 3945
Date:

Carl Stevenson wrote:

You turkey, you slipped in another post while I was answering!!! Yes to 4GC and double hump. I believe the first (62) 250 horse 327's had 283 heads on them though.



Excellent, i think i have that all sorted out now.
Carl,  This is what had me confused as well.  early 250 hps did indeed have 283 heads.

Lots to learn about 65s now that my cousin has one.

 



__________________

Beaumontguru

MY BEAUMONT HAS 4 STUDDED TIRES AND 2 BLOCKHEATERS......AND LOTS OF OIL UNDERNEATH.  The other one has a longer roof.

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.

Tweet this page Post to Digg Post to Del.icio.us
.
Support Canadian Poncho!
Select Amount:
<
.
.
.